Test Pit 63, East of Cowley Road in front of Littlemore Fish Bar
The test was dug on the green space between Littlemore Fish Bar and Cowley Road. Historic mapping shows that up until the 1950s this land was allotments and from the 1960s, green space after the construction of the Cowley Road. The road to the E of the green space that joins Long Lane to the N shows on the 1870’s mapping. Earlier work in Littlemore has shown that it was once an important medieval village. The Archaeology of East Oxford Project recently excavated Minchery Priory in Littlemore which yielded interesting results, particularly a number of worked prehistoric flint tools including a tanged and barbed arrow head and a leaf shaped arrow head suggesting prehistoric activity in the area of Littlemore.